Tom Van Volkenburg and Greg Van Volkenburg - Lake Erie
Long Point ON to Freeport Beach, PA
23.8 miles (38.3 km)
11 hours, 15 minutes on 31 July 2017
Observed and documented by Josh Heynes. Co-ratified with Lake Erie Open Water Swimming Association
Course record for Long Point / Freeport route.
- Tommy Van Volkenburg - 28 year old American residing in Charlotte, NC.
- Greg Van Volkenburg - 33 year old American residing in Houston, TX.
- John Bauman - pilot
- Mike Green - pilot
- Kevin Carmosino - kayak
- Gary Kaminski - kayak
- Ryan Brown - kayak
- Carolyn Bauman - co-pilot
- Laura Van Volkenburg - kayak
- John Jackson - kayak
- Megan Collin - nutrition
- Thomas Van Volkenburg - father
Category: Tandem Solo, nonstop, unassisted.
Rules: MSF Rules of Marathon Swimming, without exception or modification.
North/south crossing of Lake Erie: Long Point, Ontario, Canada to Freeport Beach, North East Twp, Pennsylvania.
- Route Distance: 23.8 statute miles (38.3 km)
- Route Type: one-way
- Start Location: Lighthouse @ Long Point (N 42° 32.843, W 80° 2.930’)
- Finish Location: Freeport Beach (N 42° 14.503’, W 79° 49.991’)
- Start: 31 July 2017, 07:04 Eastern Daylight Time.
- Finish: 31 July 2017, 18:19:40
- Elapsed: 11 hours, 15 minutes, 40 seconds.
Summary of Conditions
|Wind||5 mph||12mph (NW)|
Infinit Nutrition - 20oz bottle every hour
Trackpoint frequency: 1 hour.
Click to enlarge.