Stephen Root - Tahoe Viking Swim
Cave Rock to Vikingsholm
17.1 km (10.6 miles)
4 hours, 22 minutes on 24 August 2019
Observed and documented by Mark Lutzker
Fastest swim of Lake Tahoe Viking route
- Name: Stephen Root
- Gender: male
- Age on swim date: 48
- Nationality: United States
- Resides: Mill Valley, California
- Clay Prescott - pilot
- Adam Engelskirchen - kayaker
- Mark Lutzker - observer
Escort Vessel: Premier pontoon (Homewood, CA)
- Category: Solo, nonstop, unassisted
- Rules: MSF Rules of Marathon Swimming, without exception or modification.
- Equipment used: Textile swimsuit (jammers), silicone swim cap, goggles
Swim completed simultaneously, but not tandem, with Justin O’Reilly, Van Cornwell, and Collin Baratte.
- Body of Water: Lake Tahoe
- Route Type: one-way
- Start Location: Cave Rock boat ramp, Nevada (39.044467, -119.948939)
- Finish Location: Vikingsholm beach, west end of Emerald Bay, California (38.952278, -120.106356)
- Minimum Route Distance: 17.1 km (10.6 miles)
Lake Tahoe Viking swims (LongSwimsDB)
- Start: 24 August 2019, 04:36 (America/Los_Angeles, UTC-7).
- Finish: 24 August 2019, 8:58
- Elapsed: 4 hours, 22 minutes.
Summary of Conditions
|Water Temp (F)||67||68|
|Air Temp (F)||65||68|
Trackpoint frequency: 20 minutes. Download raw data (CSV).
Nutrition: Roctane drink every 30 min, gel & Rx bar every hour.
Click to enlarge.