Brenda Norman and Richard Jones - Palm to Shelly
Palm Beach to Shelly Beach
24 km (14.9 miles)
11 hours, 17 minutes on 28 February 2021
Observed and documented by Cameron Read
- Julie Spencer - crew chief
- Murray Norman - crew
- Alissa Brabin - crew
|Shap, Crackle, Pop||fishing boat||Bayview|
- Category: Solo, nonstop, unassisted.
- Rules: MSF Rules of Marathon Swimming, without exception or modification.
- Equipment used:
- Brenda: textile swimsuit (TYR Trinityfit), cap, goggles, earplugs.
- Richard: textile swimsuit (TYR), cap, goggles.
- Body of Water: Tasman Sea
- Route Type: one-way
- Start Location: Palm Beach (-33.598644, 151.325791)
- Finish Location: Shelly Beach, Manly (-33.800470, 151.297607)
- Minimum Route Distance: 24 km (14.9 miles) (map)
- Start: 28 February 2021, 07:57:00 (Australia/Sydney, UTC+11).
- Finish: 28 February 2021, 19:14:39
- Elapsed: 11 hours, 17 minutes, 39 seconds.
Summary of Conditions
|Water Temp (C)||23||24|
|Air Temp (C)||19.5||26|
Trackpoint frequency: 15 minutes. Download raw data (CSV).
- Brenda: electrolytes, soup, water.
- Richard: electrolytes, gels, lollies.
What inspired you to do this swim?
Wanting to complete the Australian Triple Crown.
Please describe how you planned for the swim.
Planned to swim the Palm2Shelly event but due to it being postponed twice I decided to complete the swim as a solo.
How did the swim go, generally? Did you face any unanticipated challenges?
The sea conditions were not what was predicted. There was a southerly wind and unpredictable swell. As a result, I was very sea sick. The ocean was littered with blue bottles for the final 5 kms for the swim.
Click to enlarge.